Wednesday, January 8, 2020

On the Road to Wellington

Land of the Long White Cloud. This is the Maori name for New Zealand as it describes what they first sighted as they approached the land in their wakas. We were treated to a similar sight today as we drove southwest to Wellington.



The clouds build up on the leeward side of the mountain ranges and dump their moisture on that side as they try to cross the ridges.
We’re traveling through dairy country and I’m seeing as many cows as sheep. There’s a Norse and Danish settlement strain in this area, with road names like Jens Larson Road, towns like Dannevilke and Norse, and signs can be in Danish



We made a few stops to see little antique shops and it’s lucky for my purse that it’s too expensive to ship things home or I’d be adding to my teapot and teacup collection! We also stopped at a fantastic little chocolate shop where I got a couple of immediate treats and a bar of chocolate to share at work.  Then on to Wellington.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Wherein I get to indulge my passion for tea

Who knew there is a tea growing estate in New Zealand?  As Arlene and I planned our day trips around our base in Hamilton, we learned there ...